• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fiona

Fiona

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:33 AM

Does anyone know how to export waypoints from EasyGPS to Excel? Copying and pasting doesn't work!

#2 KWBlack

KWBlack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

You can do it with ExpertGPS or GeoBuddy. File|Export Waypoints in List.

Both have 30-day free trial periods.

#3 hfarr

hfarr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:52 AM

Does anyone know how to export waypoints from EasyGPS to Excel? Copying and pasting doesn't work!

Excel 2010 will open an EasyGPS GPS exchange file.
If you have an earlier version of Excel, you will have to read through this and see if there is a way it will do the same thing.

To illustrate what happens, I completed this using a duplicate of an existing GPS file. I created the duplicate by loading the existing file into EasyGPS and choosing the option "File... Save As..." and using a different file name. Here are the instructions; I have tried to make them as simple as possible.
1: Open Excel 2010
2: File>Open
Ensure you set the file type to "All Files"
Navigate through the folders to locate the file you saved as above.
Highlight the file name and click on "Open"
3: Excel will go through a process to open the file. That process included these steps:
4: Excel message: "The file you are trying to open, (filename), is in a different format that specified by the file extension. Verify that the file is not corrupted and is from a trusted source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now?"
Response: Click on Yes.

5: Excel message: "Please select how you would like to open this file"
Response: choose "As an XML table", and click on OK

6: Excel message: "There is a problem with the specified XML or schema source. Click OK to have Excel create a schema based on the XML source data."
Response: click on OK

7: You may see a window open titled "XML import error"
For me, the errors consisted of reports that some data was imported as text.
But the Import Status was shown as Complete anyway, so I clicked OK to proceed.

8: The result was data entered into Sheet1.
Row 1 contains the field headers (i.e. names).
In my case columns A through X were filled, which makes for a total of 24 data fields. I've given some details about them below.
The sheet is formatted as if it is XML. Using a simple "Copy>PasteValues" you can copy the data to another sheet as plain old data without the XML.

This should help you see how the headers correspond to the EasyGPS column titles, starting from Excel worksheet column A and going through X.

Each line is in the format "easyGPS column title=Excel row A header". In some cases I've included my own explanation.

Where I am not sure, I've included the question mark symbol "?"
====================================================================41
?=version. This is always "1.1"
?=creator. This is always "EasyGPS 4.18" - the version of EasyGPS that I am using
?=minlat. This was always the same as the Lat entry
?=minlon. This was always the same as the Lon entry
?=maxlat. This was always the same as the Lat entry
?=maxlon. This was always the same as the Lon entry
Date Modified=ns3:time. This was the same for each waypoint and was the "Date Created" data for the last waypoint created.
Latitude=lat
Longitude=lon
Elevation=ns1:ele. This is the Elevation shown as meters (regardless of the units used in the EasyGPS file).
Date Created=ns1:time
Waypoint=ns1:name
Symbol=ns1:sym
?=ns3:time2 (this is GMT (time zone Z) and seems to be the equivalent of the "date accessed" file stamp. It only appeared for the first waypoint created in the file)
Label=ns2:label_text
City=ns4:City
State=ns4:State
Address=ns4:StreetAddress
Postal Code=ns4:PostalCode
Country=ns4:Country
Phone Number=ns4:PhoneNumber
Description=ns1:desc
Comment=ns1:cmt
?=ns1:extensions
==============================================
There was no data shown for any of the other fields of any EasyGPS record.

I cannot enter into discussion about this because I'm only showing what I found from my file.
Your mileage may vary, so I advise you to verify any and all data you might access in this way. Even though it does not include every GPS field, with a little work you should be able to obtain a fairly meaningful table.

The alternative to the above is to use other software to transfer data from the GPS and create a CSV (comma separated value) file, which can be opened without too much trouble in Excel. That should be more comprehensive a collection of data.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users