codybrown

problem transferring data from garmin 12 to easy gps

5 posts in this topic

when I choose the gps brand and model, I cannot get the gps settings to allow me to receive data from the unit. On the drop down I see "connect via" but it stays red and does not give any choices and the "speed" only shows 9600?

Can anyone help me on this please?

Your GPS 12 uses a serial port connection. EasyGPS attempts to identify valid, working COM ports on your computer and display them in the Connect Via drop down. None were found on your computer.

Thank you , do you have any recommendations so that I can transfer data? I purchased a cable to transfer the data some years ago. This cable is a 9 pin plug to the serial port connector in which I just plugged it into the gps unit and then into the back of the pc and it worked fine. I now have a new pc and it only has usb ports. I purchased a 9 pin to usb cable installed the software but I am having the problem stated above. Thanks

Thank you , do you have any recommendations so that I can transfer data? I purchased a cable to transfer the data some years ago. This cable is a 9 pin plug to the serial port connector in which I just plugged it into the gps unit and then into the back of the pc and it worked fine. I now have a new pc and it only has usb ports. I purchased a 9 pin to usb cable installed the software but I am having the problem stated above. Thanks

I see you have not received a response to your latest post. You say you got a 9 pin to USB cable, but that doesn't sound like it is an actual Serial to USB CONVERTER. A simple cable will not work. If you get an actual converter it will also need a Driver just like the Garmin GPS needed a Driver. And some quality Serial to USB Converters work very well, while other low quality off brand converters can be very unreliable at best.

Now as to the sugestion. Why did you upgrade your Computer? Because the new one is better in every way imaginable. The same goes for your Garmin 12. Retire it to the GPS Museum and upgrade to a GPS with USB conectivity. There are many old, used, discontinued, cheap GPS units with USB conectivity. They are cheap because the even newer USB models are so much better. But any USB port model will have advantages over your Garmin 12. And the first one is it is that it is not looking for a Serial Port or Port Conversion

On 3/29/2015 at 6:51 PM, DiamondDust said:

Now as to the sugestion. Why did you upgrade your Computer? Because the new one is better in every way imaginable. The same goes for your Garmin 12. Retire it to the GPS Museum and upgrade to a GPS with USB conectivity. There are many old, used, discontinued, cheap GPS units with USB conectivity. They are cheap because the even newer USB models are so much better. But any USB port model will have advantages over your Garmin 12. And the first one is it is that it is not looking for a Serial Port or Port Conversion

I use a GPS12 that I have had since they were introduced. I have tried cheap USB units and they broke or the batteries failed.
USB is a technique for connecting pieces of office equipment!
The GPS 12 unit is supremely simple and reliable piece of equipment, I have just flown around France in an open-cockpit aircraft using a GPS12. It is waterproof, vibration proof, can be read in any light and uses cheap replaceable batteries. I use EasyGPS to transfer waypoints and routes and it has worked well for some years. I note that the latest version 5.79 does not list the GPS12 and that serial connection is to be phased out. But it still seems to work using the settings for a GPS60. Also note that the feature to upload routes to a numbered route on the GPS12 has been removed and the uploaded route now goes direct to the 'active' route.

Dan, if you read this, this is a plea to retain support for serial connections even if the actual unit is no longer listed.