Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
turnstones

EasyGPS V5.33 showing difficulty & terrain incorrectly

7 posts in this topic

When I download 'Loc waypoints' to EasyGPS on my desktop PC from Geocaching.com I assume that the 'Difficulty' and 'Terrain' columns should each show as being in the range 1 to 5.but they actually show as 11 digit minus numbers with 10 digits before the decimal point.

Also the column headed 'Container' always shows 'Not chosen'. Everything else looks fine and the waypoints and geocaches dowload to my GPS so I don't have a problem in that respect but wonder why the initial downloads to EasyGPS on my PC display some fields incorrectly. See attached.

post-6190-0-93592000-1432158547_thumb.pn

When I download 'Loc waypoints' to EasyGPS on my desktop PC from Geocaching.com I assume that the 'Difficulty' and 'Terrain' columns should each show as being in the range 1 to 5.but they actually show as 11 digit minus numbers with 10 digits before the decimal point.

Also the column headed 'Container' always shows 'Not chosen'. Everything else looks fine and the waypoints and geocaches dowload to my GPS so I don't have a problem in that respect but wonder why the initial downloads to EasyGPS on my PC display some fields incorrectly. See attached.

As a Geocaching Premium Member, i seldom have any need to work with Loc files, but I just now downloaded a few from Geocaching.com to see what I would get (a page of 20 near one on your list - and a single one). And EVERYTHING looked fine for me, however I did nothing to manipulate the data. I am not certain you can say the same.

#1 Why does your file say: EasyGPS[Local] - mine does NOT.

#2 Why is your Name on GPS column data incorect - mine shows the GC Number. - I have no idea what yours is showing.

EXACTLY what process did you use to obtain and accumulate more than 20 waypoints? And how did you then manipulate the data? Are you then just clicking on the file now residing on your PC? And that is how it opens in EasyGPS? How long have you been using EasyGPS, and when did you first notice the problem?

But the short story is that EasyGPS 5.33 is working fine. The "problem" perhaps is self inflicted by the way you handle the data? Since I can't re-create it, I can't be sure.

I'd not realised I'd got a reply to this as I assumed I'd get an email notification of a reply so apologies for the extended delay in acknowledging.

In answer to your questions:

#1 I have no idea why EasyGPS was headed 'local' - today it just says 'EasyGPS' unless I open multiple files in which case each iteration shows 'EasyGPS - [geocaching(n).loc] where n = the iteration of the open application.

#2 The name on the GPS column is not wrong it is simply the name I give the record that it displays on the GPS as I don't use the GC names at all prefering to use something that is meaningful to me. I just edit the waypoint name using the EasyGPS facility and re-save the record.

To download the waypoints from Geocaching.com I either select by using the 'Loc waypoint file' button when I have opened the record for an individual cache or if I have a list of caches on the screen I tick the ones I want and press the 'Download waypoints' button.

Either way the waypoint is downloaded by the browser (latest version of Firefox) to my desktopPC (Windows 7).

I then go the the downloads tab and click on the downloaded file and EasyGPS automatically opens.

After changing the waypoint names I connect my eTrex to a USB port and press 'Send' on EasyGPS.

It makes no difference whether I edit the waypoint name or not as you will see from the attached samples. Nor does it make any difference if I download individual caches or groups. The first screen dump is a single cache selected using the 'Loc waypoint file' button.

The second screen dump is a batch selected by using the 'Download waypoints' button. 'Difficulty' & 'Terrain' columns are corrupted as before.

I then followed exactly the same process to download one of the same caches again but using Internet Explorer instead of Firefox. Same result.

Out of interest, I then selected some old 'gpx' files on my PC and opened these with EasyGPS - see screen print 3 - all display correctly.

In summary - if I open old .gpx files they show correctly but when opening .loc files 'Difficulty' & 'Terrain' display incorrectly in Easy GPS.

As I have not changed the data in any way on some of the examples I have given which show incorrectly I'm not sure how this could be 'self inflicted'.

I only raised the question as I assumed other people may be having the same problem although it's not an issue for me as I take no notice of 'Terrain' or 'Diffilculty' ratings anyway.

As I tend to use an Android phone most of the time and only use my eTrex as back-up I can't say exactly when I first noticed what was happening but it would have been soemtime between March and June this year.

post-6190-0-00867600-1438446098_thumb.pn

post-6190-0-91520100-1438446111_thumb.pn

post-6190-0-30273500-1438446140_thumb.pn

I have looked at the Thumbnails you have provided. I can't really evaluate what is or is not going on there. Why not just post some actual file examples so I can open them and really take a look.

How about a file without any modification of any kind, and then a copy of the same one modified to suit your purpose.

For the best compatibility with geocaching.com and other geocaching programs including EasyGPS and ExpertGPS, you should be using GPX files, not .loc files.

Dan's answer above finally got me to investigate this problem much more thoroughly, Dan suggests using only GPX Geocaching files. Great advice if you are PAYING the Goecaching site for a Premium Membership. PAYING for them is the only way to gain acces to the robust data available in a GPX file.

Just as EasyGPS over here is the FREE reduced feature software option, Geocaching LOC files are FREE limited data geocaching files from the Geocaching site. Over here, if you want the many extra features available to you in ExpertGPS, you have to PAY for them as well.

I am a Geocaching Premium Member and a paying ExpertGPS user. Everything integrates perfectly and displays correctly for me. As a Premium Member I can also obtain LOC files from the Geocaching site. I had previously done that to research your question, and the Difficulty and Terrain came throgh perfectly into EasyGPS. So, nothing is wrong with EasyGPS.

Today I decided to log out of my Premium Geocaching Account, and log into a FREE Geocaching Account I had established at some point for testing purposes over there. And the LOC file I downloaded with the FREE account has exactly the same Difficulty and Terrain situation you describe. The LOC files are NOT THE SAME when downloaded from a FREE Geocaching Acount as from a PAY Geocaching Account.

So the only "problem" is that instead of seeing BLANK SPACES for Difficulty and Terrain, you are seeing incorect data. If you are not a Geocaching Premium Member, you did not pay for that data. So just turn off those columns to hide them. As a paying ExpertGPS user, I woud not be pleased to see those columns go away in EasyGPS, because they do work perfectly with the data available to me.

For just over 8 cents a day over at the Geocaching site your "problem" would go away. Also for pennies a day you can have access to the many ExpertGPS features and the great product support I value and enjoy over here.

Everything isn't free, but at least now you have received an actual answer to your question.

Thanks for the detailed explanation - that makes good sense. I don't use Easygps any more so I'd not looked at this site for over a year. The only reason I raised the query as it was not a usability problem was that I thought it may be an issue for others and was just curious as to why it did what it does.

Mystery solved so thanks again for taking the time to look at it and give me an answer.