Ken B

GLONASS and other satellite navagation systems

5 posts in this topic

For the purpose of improving location in canyons, under vegetation, I'm thinking that using some of the other satellite navigation services might be useful.  The USA service is called GPS, the Russian service is called GLONASS.  I suspect there yet more navigation services.  There are also augmentation services that account for satellite position fluctuations to improve accuracy of location.  WAAS is the augmentation service typically found on many receivers sold in locally.

Lately there are receivers that downlink GPS and GLONASS data (these are Bluetooth receivers): 

Garmin GLO,    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/109827,

DUAL XGPS160,   http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps160/

The question is what does it take to use the 24 additional GLONASS satellites?   Is ExpertGPS ready?

Putting an antenna on my head improved satellite signal reception, but I still have data lapses in rough mountainous terrain. 

You will get higher accuracy when you record tracks and waypoints using a modern GPS receiver that uses GLONASS as well as GPS. The Satellite View in the Tracking feature in ExpertGPS will display both GPS and GLONASS satellites when connected to a Garmin GLO or other similar GPS antenna.

Thanks, Dan.  I have successfully connected to the Bluetooth Dual XGPS160 to a MS Surface 3 under Windows 10 and ExpertGPS.  Sweet!  The XGPS160 has a USB connector for charging battery only.  No GPS function via USB.  Testing, I had 8+ satellites indoors, by window.  In the satellite view I saw satellites numbered as high as 40, though can't tell which are GLONASS sats.  Is there a numbering convention?

I count 17 good years as ExpertGPS user.  Many thanks for robust software!

For information, the XGPS160 driver is unnecessary on Win 10, Surface 3.  Driver installation at the Dual website is confusing.  It seems the non-ESRI option is for Apple OS, maybe the ESRI option is also the Win option, but I won't spend any more time "testing".  I was unsuccessful at installing the Skypro GPS Status Tool, which provides internal tracking, export of the track (the difference between XGPS160 and Garmin GLO) and viewing firmware version of the device.  The Status Tool comes either from the Apple store or Google store.  Seems I don't have a "white bag icon" to click and don't care to spend any more time figuring that out.  Without internal tracking, Garmine GLO is the less expensive Bluetooth option, though I haven't test the GLO.

With the GPS system, we have WAAS augmentation, if that equatorial satellite is visible.  I don't know if augmentation service is available for GLONASS satellites?