Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
martin98

Topo lines disappear at high zoom

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I've just downloaded ExpertGPS and am evaluating it in demo mode. It seems that when I zoom in too far, the topo lines are disappearing. Some of the lines are still visible, it seems in areas that there is no tree cover. So it seems like the tree cover is covering the topo lines. I've included a couple of screen shots to illustrate. The location of these images is N49.375 W123.085. It also happens at this US location: N48.91406 W121.69975.

Is there any reason why "Show Topo Map (USA Only)" is limited to USA only? This option does show a nice Canadian topo map when you start in the US and scroll into Canada, but it eventually reverts back to "Show Street Map".

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Martin

expertgps1.JPG

expertgps2.jpg

The current cartography for the worldwide street map has some quirks, as you've discovered. When you zoom in past a certain level, the contour lines are hidden behind some land use polygons (parks, the wooded area around your ski slopes). I'm in the final phases of testing an entirely new set of cartographic rules which should fix this, and make the maps more useful in general to outdoor users. This will be automatically switched over for all users once I've finished testing.

Currently, the topo maps are scanned USGS topo maps for areas in the US, and a topo-centric street map for everywhere else, which is why the menu still says Show Topo Map (USA Only). That will likely change when the new cartography comes into effect.