Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carl L Hurst

Sort Order Changing?

4 posts in this topic

Dan,

I have a file with 250+ Ditchs with names, GPS  coordinates, etc.

I needed to re-sort them in the order that they are checked by a Water Commissioner so I exported the file as a CSV file . In the spreadsheet I Re numbered them in the desired/correct order in the label column and sorted on that column.

Then re imported that file into EGPS, Data shows up correctly sorted just as I wanted.  However, when I save the file under a new name and reopen it, it is no longer sorted correctly

What could I be missing?

Attached is the csv file sorted in the correct order.

Ditches 2017.csv

ExpertGPS keeps your waypoint data in two lists, the "file order" list, and the "sorted for display" list. The file order list keeps track of the order in which data was added to the file, and they are rendered to the screen in this order (oldest first, so new data is on top of older data). The Waypoint List on the left side of the screen is ALWAYS (usually) displayed with the data sorted by one of the columns. The one time this list is displayed "out of sorted order" is when you've just imported data, like from a CSV file.

So what's happening is that when you open the saved GPX file, it's immediately sorted according to whichever column in the Waypoint List you last sorted by.

As a workaround, if you sort by a column that doesn't have any data in it (proximity, depth, etc) and then reopen your GPX file, the sort for display won't reorder anything, and you'll be seeing the data in the order it was saved in your file, which matches the order in the CSV file.

That worked ! Thank You !

Thanks for the explanation and the workaround.

EGPS ....Absolutely the Best software ever!

Carl, it appears that the LABEL field is sorted "alphabetically", not numerically.  If your labels were 001, 002, ..., 250, I think they would sort fine.

One easy way to do this, in Excel, is to select the LABEL column, select FORMAT CELLS, select the NUMBERS tab, scroll down to CUSTOM, and in TYPE field enter "000" (3 zeros).  That will force all numbers to have 3 digits and will convert 1 to 001, 23 to 023, and so on.  I tried it and it copied to ExpertGPS properly and sorted properly even after being saved in a new file.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0