Carl L Hurst

Another Symbols Thread

13 posts in this topic

Can Expert GPS handle the (user defined) Custom Waypoint Symbols that many of the latest Garmin units support? My Map76CS & 76CSx support up to 24 custom symbols.

All the symbols are 16X16 pixel,8 bit,BMP files

Mapsource handles them by "reserving" 24 symbol "generic" (blue dot) files, named 000,001,-023.bmp and a previous program update created a folder (XP) .....C:My Documents>My Garmin> Custom Waypoint Symbols where the program looks for them.

Whatever "BMP" I have in position "000",is what is shown as that symbol. Your's can be different.....all controlled by what "BMP" is in what position

I'm bumping this thread to see if there's any reply. I just received my 76CSx and will be using these custom symbols as well

Carl, do you have any links to online user-made sets available for download? I've got a set specific to geocaching, but haven't searched for others yet.

I would like to create my own custom symbols (most notably some plain colored dots/circles/squares) -- can I do this now? (I don't have or use a Garmin)

I would like to create my own custom symbols (most notably some plain colored dots/circles/squares) -- can I do this now? (I don't have or use a Garmin)

For use in Expert GPS or on a GPSr?

You might try the Groundspeak Forum and search for Custom POIs . That's mainly for Garmin units, but I'm not aware of what might be possible for other applications.

I'm bumping this thread to see if there's any reply. I just received my 76CSx and will be using these custom symbols as well

Carl, do you have any links to online user-made sets available for download? I've got a set specific to geocaching, but haven't searched for others yet.

Check the top link in Les's response.

The last time I checked there wasn't a whole lot available that I was interested in .

You can fairly easily make some of your own with Adobe Photoshop Elements or similar software.

Check out the POI Loader program and also Groundspeak Forums and search for Custom POIs. There are several threads with a lot of info.

I did take a look at the one's in Les's post - not too bad. Here are the geocaching and benchmark ones I was already aware of from the Groundspeak Forums:

60CSx-symbols.jpgScreenShot.JPG

I'm mildly interested in learning to create my own, but I'm not very artistic, so it's not high on my priority list.

One thing that I just discovered is when transferring to another program using GPX, the symbols are referenced by "names".

So, if you are using two or more programs you need to be aware of the symbol names for the other programs. I selected appropriate icons for waypoints in ExpertGPS and got just arrows in Topo 6. YMMV, Topo 6 has several symbol sets to select from. So, names should be chosen carefully when creating new symbols.

Stephen H. Fischer

For use in Expert GPS or on a GPSr?

For ExpertGPS. I have a Lowrance and I'm stuck with the crappy set of symbols they give me.

I make tons of maps on my PC, and for waypoints I would like to have some basic simple vector symbols (circles, squares, dots, etc in any color/size I like) or the ability to define my own bitmaps. I am a bit spoiled by some other programs (TatukGIS viewer) and the flexibility in the ExpertGPS shape / track visualization options (dashed/dotted lines, thickness, color, transparency, etc.) so I would really like to see it for symbols.

I make tons of maps on my PC, and for waypoints I would like to have some basic simple vector symbols (circles, squares, dots, etc in any color/size I like) or the ability to define my own bitmaps. I am a bit spoiled by some other programs (TatukGIS viewer) and the flexibility in the ExpertGPS shape / track visualization options (dashed/dotted lines, thickness, color, transparency, etc.) so I would really like to see it for symbols.

--bump-- I was just wondering where this feature fits in the expertgps "roadmap" for improvements...

I posted two roadmaps for you in the Feature Requests and Discussion forum. Comments welcome.