12 replies to this topic

#1 Carl L Hurst

Carl L Hurst

Advanced Member

• GPS Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:52 AM

Can Expert GPS handle the (user defined) Custom Waypoint Symbols that many of the latest Garmin units support? My Map76CS & 76CSx support up to 24 custom symbols.

All the symbols are 16X16 pixel,8 bit,BMP files

Mapsource handles them by "reserving" 24 symbol "generic" (blue dot) files, named 000,001,-023.bmp and a previous program update created a folder (XP) .....C:My Documents>My Garmin> Custom Waypoint Symbols where the program looks for them.

Whatever "BMP" I have in position "000",is what is shown as that symbol. Your's can be different.....all controlled by what "BMP" is in what position

#2 Greg R.

Greg R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • geocaching.com username:gnbrotz

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:30 PM

I'm bumping this thread to see if there's any reply. I just received my 76CSx and will be using these custom symbols as well

Carl, do you have any links to online user-made sets available for download? I've got a set specific to geocaching, but haven't searched for others yet.
Greg

#3 Les Heilakka

Les Heilakka

Advanced Member

• GPS Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:00 PM

You can build your own using garmin ximage. Program not supported but also allows capture of screen shots

just found this http://www.elsinga.n...nt-symbols.html

Also for the POI loader
http://www.malsingma...Custom_POI_Icon

#4 Jason S

Jason S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:17 AM

I would like to create my own custom symbols (most notably some plain colored dots/circles/squares) -- can I do this now? (I don't have or use a Garmin)

#5 Carl L Hurst

Carl L Hurst

Advanced Member

• GPS Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:05 AM

I would like to create my own custom symbols (most notably some plain colored dots/circles/squares) -- can I do this now? (I don't have or use a Garmin)

For use in Expert GPS or on a GPSr?

You might try the Groundspeak Forum and search for Custom POIs . That's mainly for Garmin units, but I'm not aware of what might be possible for other applications.

#6 Carl L Hurst

Carl L Hurst

Advanced Member

• GPS Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:13 AM

I'm bumping this thread to see if there's any reply. I just received my 76CSx and will be using these custom symbols as well

Carl, do you have any links to online user-made sets available for download? I've got a set specific to geocaching, but haven't searched for others yet.

Check the top link in Les's response.

The last time I checked there wasn't a whole lot available that I was interested in .

You can fairly easily make some of your own with Adobe Photoshop Elements or similar software.

Check out the POI Loader program and also Groundspeak Forums and search for Custom POIs. There are several threads with a lot of info.

#7 Greg R.

Greg R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • geocaching.com username:gnbrotz

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:48 PM

I did take a look at the one's in Les's post - not too bad. Here are the geocaching and benchmark ones I was already aware of from the Groundspeak Forums:

Posted Image Posted Image

I'm mildly interested in learning to create my own, but I'm not very artistic, so it's not high on my priority list.
Greg

#8 Stephen Fischer

Stephen Fischer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:17 PM

One thing that I just discovered is when transferring to another program using GPX, the symbols are referenced by "names".

So, if you are using two or more programs you need to be aware of the symbol names for the other programs. I selected appropriate icons for waypoints in ExpertGPS and got just arrows in Topo 6. YMMV, Topo 6 has several symbol sets to select from. So, names should be chosen carefully when creating new symbols.

Stephen H. Fischer

#9 Jason S

Jason S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:17 AM

For use in Expert GPS or on a GPSr?

For ExpertGPS. I have a Lowrance and I'm stuck with the crappy set of symbols they give me.

I make tons of maps on my PC, and for waypoints I would like to have some basic simple vector symbols (circles, squares, dots, etc in any color/size I like) or the ability to define my own bitmaps. I am a bit spoiled by some other programs (TatukGIS viewer) and the flexibility in the ExpertGPS shape / track visualization options (dashed/dotted lines, thickness, color, transparency, etc.) so I would really like to see it for symbols.

#10 Jason S

Jason S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:52 AM

I make tons of maps on my PC, and for waypoints I would like to have some basic simple vector symbols (circles, squares, dots, etc in any color/size I like) or the ability to define my own bitmaps. I am a bit spoiled by some other programs (TatukGIS viewer) and the flexibility in the ExpertGPS shape / track visualization options (dashed/dotted lines, thickness, color, transparency, etc.) so I would really like to see it for symbols.

--bump-- I was just wondering where this feature fits in the expertgps "roadmap" for improvements...

#11 Dan Foster

Dan Foster

Author of ExpertGPS and EasyGPS

• TopoGrafix
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
  • Interests:Writing GPS Software!
  • geocaching.com username:topografix

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:12 AM

I posted two roadmaps for you in the Feature Requests and Discussion forum. Comments welcome.

#12 Dan Foster

Dan Foster

Author of ExpertGPS and EasyGPS

• TopoGrafix
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
  • Interests:Writing GPS Software!
  • geocaching.com username:topografix

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:47 PM

I've written an article about custom map symbols for ExpertGPS and Google Earth. These are custom markers for the map, not for your GPS.

#13 Jason S

Jason S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

I've written an article about custom map symbols for ExpertGPS and Google Earth. These are custom markers for the map, not for your GPS.

sweet! so that's how to do it!

thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users