Mattias Wahlberg

How can I add my GPS device to the list?

8 posts in this topic

I have a Fortuna GPSmart BT, it's not in the list. How can I add it?

- Serial Port: Mini USB form factor

- Bluetooth: Version 1.1

- Default baudrate: 38,400 bps

- GPS Protocol: Default: NMEA-0183 (V2.0) - GGA, GSA, MMC, RMC

- Programmable: additional NMEA - VTG, GLL / SiRF Binary

Assuming this GPS comes with software that creates a virtual COM port (ie, emulates a serial port on your computer), you can use it as an NMEA input to the Tracking feature in ExpertGPS. This will allow you to run ExpertGPS as a moving map display on your laptop.

As far as I know, Fortuna has not released a way for developers to exchange waypoints, routes, and tracks with their GPS receivers. If you would like EasyGPS to support this GPS, contact Fortuna and ask them to release this documentation to the public.

Any plans to support any of the TomTom line?

I know theyre mainly a navigational system, but will accept data in D:M:S.s

The Onboard OS is built around a Linux kernal, and therefore (I would assume) open source, so info about the nuts and bolts inside the tomtom should be pretty easy to come by..

With the onboard batteries, Id like to grab my tomtom, and go caching when on some of my roadtrips.

-Jason

If you can get documentation (PDF or online) from TomTom tech support about a serial or USB interface protocol to their GPS receivers, please forward that information to me.

Garmin, Magellan, and Lowrance all make that information publically available, which is why EasyGPS supports those GPS receivers.

Apparently, it uses the linux libusb library for USB access.

The official libusb site: http://libusb.sourceforge.net/

Tomtoms version libusb source: http://www.tomtom.com/gpl/rel200603a/toolc...b-0.1.11.tar.gz

Im very, very new to *nix myself, so Im not even sure if thats the info you're looking for..

I do know the Tomtom mounts into Windows 2000, and XP systems as a storage device, without needing any installed drivers.. Dunno if that helps at all..

Oh, and BTW, thanks for a great piece of software. Ive been using it with my etrex for a couple years now.

-Jason

If you can get documentation (PDF or online) from TomTom tech support about a serial or USB interface protocol to their GPS receivers, please forward that information to me.

Garmin, Magellan, and Lowrance all make that information publically available, which is why EasyGPS supports those GPS receivers.

- Serial Port: Mini USB form factor

- Bluetooth: Version 1.1

- Default baudrate: 38,400 bps

- GPS Protocol: Default: NMEA-0183 (V2.0) - GGA, GSA, MMC, RMC

- Programmable: additional NMEA - VTG, GLL / SiRF Binary

Is it possible to also support general BT GPS receivers such as the GlobalSat BT 338? I coudn't find any compatible settings for this unit. Only required is baud rate 38,400 and support for emulated COM port over BT (COM15 in my case). Thanks.

Is it possible to also support general BT GPS receivers such as the GlobalSat BT 338? I coudn't find any compatible settings for this unit. Only required is baud rate 38,400 and support for emulated COM port over BT (COM15 in my case). Thanks.

I also have a GlobalSat BT 338. All it does is connect over bluetooth to a com port, and it just streams the location information through there. I could sniff some packets and tell you what kind of information you need to parse it in expert GPS if you would like. This device does not support waypoints or anything like that. I did have it hooked up in some software (i cant remember which) using NMEA

Any NMEA output stream can be used as an input to the Tracking feature in ExpertGPS and GeoBuddy.

If your GPS isn't on the list at http://www.topografix.com/gps_receivers/ it cannot be used in EasyGPS.