DrDaveJ

Sending map image to Magellan Meridian Gold

7 posts in this topic

Can someone send me to a site that explains about sending a map to my GPS?

I don't understand the relationship between what I download and what is already there. When I am in the area covered by the map I saved, does the GPS switch to it? Can I switch from one to the other?

Don't worry about trying to teach here. I really am asking for a tutorial someplace.

Thanks!

Dave

You must use the Magellan software MapSend Topo 3D USA or the much older MapSend Topo. You can search to see who may be selling a copy. I am familiar with both versions. The original version is still useful as it contains some historical items(abandoned rails for example).

As a side note, I do recall some undocumented methods of making maps for the older Magellans but I have never tried it.

Yes, I want to look into getting Topo maps too. But, for now, I want to understand what happens when sending regular maps. How much of the map am I sending, how much memory does it consume (or can I know that before sending), how the GPS processes two files that contain the same area, etc.

Am using ExpertGPSv5.19. I will get online there and ask questions. Was looking for general info, but now realize I might as well get specific if I can.

Thanks for the reply!

DrDaveJ

Restating my original post, the Magellan product is, for all pratical purposes, the only way to get maps into the Meridians. The topo maps which it produces include roads(which I assume is what you mean by "regular maps"). If you are expecting auto-routing, it will not do that although they did sell a mapping product that could do that. As for how much memory, that depends on how much detail there is in the area of the country for which you are creating maps. For example, a map for a desert area would consume much less space than an area with dense roads or varying terrain. There is a practical limit on map size where the Meridian becomes quite sluggish. I use maps that are 20-30MB and they function rather well.

On Yahoo Groups, there is a Magellan Meridian section which still has some activity. There is a lot of information there including the unofficial, undocumented things that I touched upon.

I see now I missed a connection in your first post. Thanks for the clarification!

I used to run MapSend, but when I got forced to Win7, it would not even install. I even tried compatibility mode on the installer. Am now wondering if I did something wrong then. Do you think it should have worked?

I would have to look for another purchase if needed. I think I threw that one out with a stack of other stuff (Thanks Microsoft).

Anyway, thanks for helping.