Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RodNH

Garmin Glo

10 posts in this topic

Anyone using the Garmin Glo bluetooth GPS receiver with ExpertGPS? I'm considering purchasing one to use with ExGPS on my Surface Pro 3 and would like any comments.

Thanks,
Rod

I purchased one solely for testing and development with ExpertGPS. It should work 100% with ExpertGPS. If you run into any issues, let me know and I'll fire mine up and get it fixed.

Hello Dan,

I received the Glo today and paired it up with my Surface Pro 3. After running Expert GPS and invoking "Real Time GPS Tracking" both the Surface and the Glo indicate a connected status. However, nothing seems to work. I tried adding the Glo in the "Add GPS" dialog box but it was not listed there. Perhaps that's the problem? I'm using the latest version - 5.44. Can you advise what else I should try?

Thanks,
Rod

Some additional information: The status lights on the Glo are solid, indicating both a satellite lock and a connection to ExGPS. However, there is no apparent data transfer to ExGPS. For example, when I go to "View Satellites", no information is shown. There are four com ports indicated for the Glo. All four ports currently have the default settings 9600,8,N,1,None. Computer is MS Surface Pro 3. OS is Win 8.1, fully patched. ExGPS is Ver. 5.44. Is there something simple that I'm missing? What do I need to do to make tracking work?

post-6593-0-15825200-1437215325_thumb.jp

Bingo! I think I've got it. In options/main preferences under tracking, I changed from com 3 to com 4 and now I have information transfer to ExGPS. Yay. This is going to be fun to use. Too bad it's raining outside today or I'd take it out for a field test.

I saw that Garmin GLO is not compatible with a Windows 10, Microsoft Surface 3 tablet.  This may have been old information.  Has anyone been successful getting the GLO to pair with a Windows 10 tablet and ExpertGPS?  Thanks, Ken

For information, I have successfully used the GlobalSat USB receivers BU-353-s4 and ND-100S.  I have yet to try the Bluetooth GlobalSat BT-821.  Bluetooth connection between Win 10 Surface 3 and a GPS receiver would simplify the system.  Overlay of streets on aerial photos in ExpertGPS is wonderful!

After much surfing of the internets, it appears that there is a problem with Windows 10 and Bluetooth GPS receivers.  The few that work use a com port driver accessory program specifically for Win 10 and Bluetooth.  Garmin GLO does not currently work, confirmed by Garmin support.  Seems the issue is being worked by Microsoft Win 10 support.  That's all I'll say, I don't want to spread poor quality information.  I have successfully run 2 Globalsat USB wired receivers with Windows 10.

Garmin Product Support says in an email today that their GLO receiver now connects by Bluetooth with Windows 10 devices.  I asked specifically GLO with Surface 3 and Windows 10?, the answer was "Glo is compatible with Windows".  I have yet to try it myself.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0