Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darolw

How to download map

3 posts in this topic

I have recently got the expertgps program, but have not been able to load a map I need to my Garmin Oregon 650T. I stay in EU and it came pre loaded with map of EU, so never had any problem with that. But now I need to load a map of Mali, Africa, for which I got this software. But since yesterday I have been trying to follow all instructions given, but failed to load any map to my device. Please can anyone guide me how to go about it? All help will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

ExpertGPS can send raster bitmaps to your Oregon, but not large enough to cover an entire country. ExpertGPS can't modify the basemap installed on your Garmin.

For smaller areas:

Garmin's Oregon, Colorado, and Dakota GPS receivers can now display
scanned maps, topos, and aerial photos in KMZ format. ExpertGPS can
export any map in this format. To use the feature, click Export Image
on the Map menu, set the size of the map you want to export (keep it
under 10,000 x 10,000 pixels) and click Export. Change the file type
to Google Earth KMZ (the last option) and ExpertGPS will create a
tiled map set that will display on your GPS.

You need to then copy this .kmz file to the /Garmin/CustomMaps folder
on your GPS receiver's microSD card. Don't put the maps directly on
your GPS's GARMIN drive. Put them on the removable data card. That
way, if for any reason the GPS doesn't like the custom map, you can
just remove the data card to start your GPS.

You should also double-click the generated .kmz file and verify that
it displays correctly in Google Earth before transferring the kmz to
your GPS data card.

If you purchased your GPS in 2009 or earlier, you should update your
Garmin GPS firmware (for free, at Garmin's web site) to make sure your
GPS has the new capability to display custom maps and imagery.

More information on the Custom Maps feature in ExpertGPS is available
here: http://forums.topografix.com/index.php?showtopic=2419

Dan, I did an export to KMZ for Montana 650 (very, very nice!).  I presume the associated image folder and MAP file follow the KMZ to the GPS custom maps folder on the SD card.  In some (not all) exports, the progress bar at the bottom of ExpertGPS did not complete, although the activity in Task Manager/Process showed no activity.  The KMZ loaded correctly in Google Earth, including roads and trails data overlay.  Win 10 home on a desk top.  I did a 9999x9999 px export at 1:13298.  Also noticed that as I zoomed in and out while selecting the export region, that the scale wasn't always exactly the same at the same zoom level.  Didn't seem to cause any problem, though.   

Although I downloaded the aerial photos just a week ago, all of the tiles in my export region had been updated.  I did ctrl-F5 to refresh each screen-full.  Had me thinking that a yes/no toggle to download newer tiles would be nice.  Maybe that would refresh all tiles, everywhere, so ctrl-F5 is not a huge inconvenience.

ExpertGPS is so much better than 7.5 min quad, pencil, barometric altimeter, clinometer, compass!  Many thanks for fine work! 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0