Dan Foster

ExpertGPS 5.61 - big changes to the Edit Waypoint, Edit Track dialogs

39 posts in this topic

Today's ExpertGPS release introduces some big changes to the Edit dialogs for waypoints, tracks, shapes, and notes. In the past, to change the appearance of an object, you had to edit it, and then edit or create a new Type for that object. The new edit dialogs now let you change the appearance of the object directly.

In making these changes, I've removed some of the lesser-used options for object appearance, and I've made some of the options available on an object-by-object basis, rather than the old "all objects of a certain type get displayed identically".

Please let me know what you like about the new design, and what you find confusing. I expect there will be some fine-tuning over the coming weeks based on user feedback.

Dan, it is always nice to see you working on EGPS. In the new version, I like the combination of the track and waypoint display and edit functions. However, what happened to all of my defined track styles? Over the years I've standardized my track displays for various land cover types, road types, and trail types. It appears that none of my styles are working. For example, today all of my road styles show only a solid, thin black line.

In addition, the line border feature doesn't seem to work, or at least I can't see how to make it work now. Previously, I think I used a line border to make black-and-white dashed lines to depict graded dirt roads. I don't see how to create such a line now. An I missing something? See attached map image for examples of the black-and-white dashed lines that I'm trying to display.

B&H-60b.jpg

Jim, can you email me a sample GPX file with some of these issues, as well as the two registry keys described below, so I can see what isn't getting displayed correctly in the new version?

Click Start, Run and type "regedit" (no quotes) and press Enter
In RegEdit, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/TopoGrafix/
Right-click on the ExpertGPS folder, and click Export.  Export as
ExpertGPS.reg on your desktop.
Right-click on the Common folder, and click Export.  Export as
Common.reg on your desktop.

Go to your desktop, and select both .reg files.  Right-click, and Send
to Compressed Folder (.zip) and zip them into a new file, expertgps.zip

Send me that .zip file as an email attachment. support @@@ expertgps dot com

I have found the set up of object properties in the past somewhat confusing, so I'm happy to see your efforts to improve this area and will be glad to give some feedback.

I have a couple of questions. If I select a track style type from the dropdown list in the Edit Track window, it looks like I can only override the color of the track. Why not allow all of the track style properties to be modified for a newly-drawn track or a selected existing track? If I select a word in a word processor, I can modify not only the color, but the font style, size, type, color, etc.

Why can't the color (and, ideally, as I mentioned above,all of the properties)  of Routes be overridden?

If you look at a printed map, you'll see that all of the highways look the same. All of the rivers look the same. That's the idea behind types - you create a Highway type, and all of your highways on the map are drawn consistently. Having a solid red highway and a dotted green highway doesn't make sense to me, so I don't see the benefit in having two tracks with the same type, but entirely modified styles.

What I have encountered over the years are a lot of requests for a blue hiking trail and a red hiking trail on the same map. So, you can have a dashed line Hiking Trail type, and use the Override Color to set specific colors for those trails. There are also a lot of people who don't assign types to their tracks from the GPS, and just want different colored lines on the map.

Most people are using tracks more than routes. I'd like to get the changes worked out for tracks first, and then consider which of those options are applicable to routes.

Shapes will probably not get per-shape overrides of the shape type styling attributes for memory and performance reasons. Some ExpertGPS Pro customers have files with tens and hundreds of thousands of shapes. Storing the style information once (in the shape type) is a big improvement over storing it in every single shape in the file.

If there are changes anyone would like to see, it really helps me to hear or see specific examples, and explanations of why it's important.

I found a bug in ExpertGPS 5.61 where the line pattern (solid, dashed, etc) isn't getting properly updated when you select from the list of types you've already created. That may explain some of the issues you're all seeing. Let's pause this discussion until I release a fix.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the continued improvements!

I don't know if this is related to the bug you described above, but I'm seeing really inconsistent behavior in Edit Waypoint.  When I change the Type, it usually also toggles the GPS Symbol and Marker on Map.  The symbol in the Sample is usually not updated, however, unless I had manually set Marker on Map to None prior to changing the Type again.

Can you elaborate on the hierarchy of rules that this dialog follows when the user changes the features of a waypoint?  My pre-caffeine thought is that Type should be the parent which drives GPS Symbol and Marker on Map, so toggling the Type would also reset those two fields to whatever was actually assigned to that Type.

I'm also seeing weird behavior when the waypoint Types use custom map symbols.  I know that the support for custom symbols hasn't been a priority because not a lot of people were using it, so I don't know if this comes into play here too.

Troy

Troy, I think I've got the issues you've brought up addressed in the next release. The hierarchy should then work as you expect - changing Type should cause a bunch of other fields to change (GPS symbol and map marker for waypoints, line and fill styles for tracks and routes).

ExpertGPS 5.62, released this evening, should address many of the issues mentioned above. In addition, I've reworked the Edit Waypoint and Edit Note dialogs to use a new way to select GPS symbols and custom map markers.

Dan:  I am having problems with shape fill and line colors in version 5.62. Over the years I have standardized shape colors and outline colors so readers of my maps can know the category of the property type by color for those working just from images. Presently the colors are showing correctly for the selection of line and fill color for the corresponding label types in the edit dialogue box. The graphic showing the line and fill colors just above the selectors is showing and incorrect color and is also labeled map display styles for all track labels of this type. However, it is showing in the shape edit box and is the wrong color for the selected type. How do I change all line and fill colors for the same type globally in the program and not have to select each individual shape and then select default in the lower left hand corner of the edit box?  Right now this is the only function I have tried to work with, but need to solve this problem quickly as I have a upcoming deadline to meet for issuing some revised maps with hundreds of individual shapes to get under control. The basic question is why have the last two version upgrades altered all my many different colors on the map, yet still retain the proper colors in the default mechanism as shown in the edit box?  Fred Wales

Fred, there were some issues with colors, and some issues with the way style changes were getting updated and used globally in the program. I just released version 5.63, which should be an improvement. http://www.expertgps.com/SetupExpertGPS.exe

If there are still critical issues preventing you from meeting your deadline, you can revert back to 5.60 here: http://www.expertgps.com/SetupExpertGPS-560.exe

Dan:  Thanks for the quick late night work.  I just installed version 5.63 and it appears to be working properly and will let me meet my deadline. I will eventually being trying other aspects. I see the new edit box is still present, which will require some study. Thank you so much!  Fred

Hi Dan,

I think the behavior with custom waypoint icons is still a bit off.  Here's the experience I just had with 63:

new document
new waypoint

Type is defaulted to Airport
Map Marker dropdown is "AMC" and selected symbol is one of my icons for an AMC 4000 footer
Sample shows AMC 4000 footer waypoint

Change type to "Blue Flag"
Map Marker / symbol / Sample do not change

Change type to "Gas"
Mark Marker changes to GPS Symbol, sample changes to a gas pump icon

Change Type to AMC 4000 Footer
Map Marker changes to "NPS Water Recreation," symbol changes to NPS boater, sample shows NPS boater

If I keep toggling the Type among selections that use custom icons and others that use GPS symbols only, I continue getting unexpected behavior.  It's as if Type still isn't the primary driver of the child objects.  Am I missing something?

--Troy

With this new version of expert when I zoom out to look at all my shapes I lose some of the labels. I used to just right click those shapes and click place label here and it would show up. Not anymore. How can we fix this.

Roy, for the last month or so, ExpertGPS has a new labeling algorithm that prevents label overlap on the map. Place Label Here should still work, but you need to select a location where there's no overlap with any other labels.

For waypoints and notes, you can quickly move labels by selecting them on the map, and using 1-9 on the numeric keypad.

Troy - your assumption is correct. Changing the Type drop-down should refresh the styling elements of the dialog to show the waypoint symbols and map markers (or the track line and fill styles) that correspond to that type. It sounds you're seeing a refresh every time you change the style, but that there's some sort of "off-by-one" error that's causing your custom map markers to be selected incorrectly. The map markers are loaded on-the-fly from the Symbols folder - perhaps that's being parsed incorrectly. Can you zip up that entire Symbols folder (with the sub-folders for your AMC markers as well as the NPS ones) and email it to me? To access it, click Open Program Data Folder on the Help menu.

My labels are not overlapping. They just wont show up unless I zoom in more than I want to.

Labels for filled objects are hidden if the text is larger than the object itself.

Please email me a sample file (or upload one here) and tell me the scale (shown in the bottom right corner) at which you're not happy with the labels.

Dan:  The "Add to map legend" command does not include the icon for the characteristic of either shapes or tracks in version 5.63.  It does add the name of the type. Fred

ExpertGPS 5.64 should address all of the issues raised so far in this thread.

http://www.expertgps.com/SetupExpertGPS.exe

ExpertGPS 5.64 - February 19, 2016
More improvements to the Edit and Edit Type dialogs.
Added Text Size to all waypoints, routes, tracks for individual control over text label size.
Selecting something on the map and pressing [ or ] will change the text size of that item's label.
Allowed filled shape labels to extend outside the shape's area.
Made some internal changes to how data is saved in GPX files.
Automatically break up Lowrance HDS tracklogs based on signal loss and gaps in recording.

Hi Dan,

5.64 is still exhibiting the same issues I had with the prior versions.  It might be an off-by-one bug in the backend, but it's not an obvious off-by-one in the UI.  e.g., when I select my custom "AMC 4000 footer" type, I get a preview for my custom "Kayaking" type which uses an NPS paddler symbol.  The two types are very far apart in the Type drop-down, which is why I say the off-by-1 isn't obvious in the UI.  Maybe it's an off-by-1 in the way you're parsing the types and/or symbols behind the scenes though.

I've been testing this stuff from a new GPX document, not an existing file.  You already have my Symbols folder.  Should I send my registry settings too?

Troy

Yes, please send me an email with the registry settings. I tested for a while over the weekend using your custom symbols and never saw an issue.

Dan,

In the latest version we downloaded today we can no longer edit a style.  

If I select a group of waypoints I can change their type but not edit the type properties. 

If i select a single waypoint I can edit the type properties but it only applies to the waypoint I selected. 

In the old version i could select a group of waypoints and change something about the style all at once.  Where would i go to do that now?  The tutorial on the website is still for the old version

I just selected a bunch of waypoints, right-clicked them, and clicked Edit Waypoints.

The new Edit Waypoints dialog opens. It has a sample at the top, and then a type selector where you can select or type the name of the type you want to assign to the selected waypoints. Below that there are controls to modify the waypoint symbol and map marker that will be displayed.

With the new changes, things like the waypoint symbol can now be changed on a waypoint-by-waypoint basis, rather than being controlled globally by the waypoint type. By default, waypoints have no GPS symbol assigned to them, and they use the symbol in their Waypoint Type. If you look in the waypoint list at the Symbol column, you'll see these waypoints have the GPS symbol name in italics. Any time you see italics in one of the lists, that means that ExpertGPS is getting that value from somewhere else. (Another example: if you don't have a Name on GPS set for a track, it's derived automatically from the Label on Map field and displayed in italics)

If you edit a waypoint and update the symbol for that type, any other waypoint of that type with a symbol in italics will show the new symbol. Points that have had a symbol explicitly assigned to them in the past (in Edit Waypoint, or from a GPS) won't update if you change the type settings for another waypoint.

I apologize for explaining this horribly.

" Below that there are controls to modify the waypoint symbol and map marker that will be displayed. "

In the latest version this is only true if you edit a single waypoint.  I can't seem to select and edit multiple waypoints.  I just get the smaller dialog box that only allows select/delete type, select map marker, and select GPS symbol.  

What I need to do for my current project Is Edit the properties of my type so that the text is centered above and larger font.  I can only do this one waypoint at a time, and in the new version it no longer propagates.  

I've attached two screenshots, the first one is what shows under edit when i select multiple waypoints.  The second is what shows when i select a single

dlg-edit-waypoints.bmp

single-edit-waypoints.bmp