Dan Foster

ExpertGPS 5.61 - big changes to the Edit Waypoint, Edit Track dialogs

39 posts in this topic

I made text size and text alignment (relative to the map marker) an individual attribute of waypoints, notes, tracks, and shapes, rather than having it be a "group" attribute that's attached to the Type. That's a departure from the way things have been in the past. But the issue I see a lot is having two waypoints close together on the map, with overlapping labels. Now you can just change the alignment of one of the labels, rather than having to create a special type ("Airports with text to the right and above") to deal with it.

The good news is that you can change text size and alignment on multiple points without ever opening a dialog. Select the items on the map, click [ or ] to change the text size, and click 1-9 on the numeric keypad to change the text alignment.

Does that help? If not, send me a file so I can see what you're working on and we can talk about the best way to deal with this in the future.

What do you all think about this? Do you want to be able to change text size and label text alignment from the new Edit Waypoints dialog? Other things as well?

I didn't know the numeric keypad for position and bracket for size.  that helps in the short term

Ultimately what I'm looking for is that when I import a bunch of points in a shape file under a certain "type", that by default they inherit the properties of those type.  I like the idea that i can then modify the position individually, that is a great addition. But if every single new waypoint always comes in with text to the right and small, that means every map i work in I now have extra steps to put the text on top and make it big again, whereas, in the previous version as long as the type name matched it would remember my default text position and size preferences. 

Can we get a way to change the text alignment through a selection on the waypoints list like we had before?  It can be difficult when you have hundreds of points to select them visually. 

Yes, it's already in the next release.

On 2/23/2016 at 3:52 PM, mcreisinger said:

if every single new waypoint always comes in with text to the right and small, that means every map i work in I now have extra steps to put the text on top and make it big again

I tend to agree with this. A group of waypoints are generally moving more or less in the same direction, so the positioning of the label and the size of the text would be the same.  When a new waypoint type is created, perhaps the waypoint label text size and position could be saved along with the waypoint symbol. If the direction of the line of waypoints changes then, a different saved waypoint type with the appropriate text positioning could be used, This would also allow a group of waypoints to be selected and their label properties changed in one operation.

ExpertGPS 5.65 addresses most of the issues raised in this discussion so far.

http://www.expertgps.com/download.asp

ExpertGPS 5.65 - February 29, 2016
Added new Type controls to Import FileGDB command.
Import FileGDB command now remembers your settings when you import the same Feature Class again.
When notes and waypoints have Text Alignment set to Centered, the text label now displays below the map marker.
Added new Type controls to Import Shapefile command.
Added Set Default option in Text Alignment menu in Edit Waypoint dialog, so you can set a global default for all points.
You can now change the text size and label position for multiple points at once using the Edit Waypoints and Edit Notes dialogs.
Fixed recent issue where Layers were not displaying correctly.
Shapefile Layers now use new Import Point, Import Polyline dialogs with new type controls.
Area and distance now display in the Edit Track and Edit Shape dialog for newly-drawn objects.
Added date and time to waypoints sent to Lowrance HDS units.

On 2/29/2016 at 1:43 PM, Dan Foster said:

ExpertGPS 5.65 addresses most of the issues raised in this discussion so far.

http://www.expertgps.com/download.asp

ExpertGPS 5.65 - February 29, 2016
Added new Type controls to Import FileGDB command.
Import FileGDB command now remembers your settings when you import the same Feature Class again.
When notes and waypoints have Text Alignment set to Centered, the text label now displays below the map marker.
Added new Type controls to Import Shapefile command.
Added Set Default option in Text Alignment menu in Edit Waypoint dialog, so you can set a global default for all points.
You can now change the text size and label position for multiple points at once using the Edit Waypoints and Edit Notes dialogs.
Fixed recent issue where Layers were not displaying correctly.
Shapefile Layers now use new Import Point, Import Polyline dialogs with new type controls.
Area and distance now display in the Edit Track and Edit Shape dialog for newly-drawn objects.
Added date and time to waypoints sent to Lowrance HDS units.

Dan, One more thing we are missing in the overhaul is related to automatic shape file type (layering) control.  We used to be able to import a shape file and define a field that would dictate the "type".  As long as we had the type's pre-named they would come in with the correct color, hatching, etc.  

In the new version it seems we are forced to import an entire shape file into one type instead of it auto-populating.  Is this a feature that can be added back in?

thanks

Email me the shapefile if you can, so I can see how you're currently generating and using them.

I'm projecting a series of waypoints. The Map Marker is set to GPS Symbol. For the Waypoint Symbol, I choose the blue pushpin and in the Type dropdown list, I write "Waypoint-Blue". I set the text size and position. I lay down the first waypoint which a blue pushpin with the correct text properties. I write-click on the first waypoint and select "Project Waypoint and enter the the bearing and distance information and click OK. When "Edit Waypoint" form opens, the text properties remain the same as I selected for the first waypoint, however, the Type textbox is blank, the Waypoint Symbol has changed to the red pushpin, not the blue pushpin selected for the previous waypoint.

Is there a way to have the waypoint type remain the same when laying out a series of waypoints?

Don, this will be addressed in the next release. Thanks for pointing out the inconsistent behavior.

Forgive me if I missed this somewhere, but previously in the "Edit Waypoint Type" dialog (or Track, or Route, etc), there was an Importance setting "...to prevent the map from getting cluttered, ExpertGPS removes detail and makes objects smaller as you zoom out."  I found this extremely useful, especially when printing a map.  Is editing a type no longer an option?

Brian, each individual waypoint or track now has a text font size selection, which replaces the Importance setting for Types. Additionally, ExpertGPS now automatically de-clutters the map as you zoom in and out, preventing text labels from overlapping. And you can tweak the label size and placement of objects when you're ready to print by selecting items and using [ and ] to adjust the font size, and the numeric keypad to adjust label placement.

If you have a file that's giving particular trouble, email me a GPX file and we can talk about ways to tweak how map labels are displayed.

7 minutes ago, Dan Foster said:

Brian, each individual waypoint or track now has a text font size selection, which replaces the Importance setting for Types. Additionally, ExpertGPS now automatically de-clutters the map as you zoom in and out, preventing text labels from overlapping. And you can tweak the label size and placement of objects when you're ready to print by selecting items and using [ and ] to adjust the font size, and the numeric keypad to adjust label placement.

If you have a file that's giving particular trouble, email me a GPX file and we can talk about ways to tweak how map labels are displayed.

Thanks Dan.  The labels work great, but the waypoints icons themselves are troublesome.  Many of the standard GPS waypoints (i.e. Navaids, Bridge, Building, Controlled Area, etc.) are large enough that, when clustered close together, they dominate the map when zoomed out.  Tracks aren't as bad, but it was nice to be able have certain track and waypoint types disappear if zoomed out to a certain level.  I can email an example if you like.

Please do.