Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom Lapointe

Arrows on Tracks

11 posts in this topic

With version 5.74, is there a way to disable the arrowheads on tracks?  Maybe there is an option , but I didn't see it.

I have tracks that are merely boundaries around properties.  I would rather not have arrowheads on these.

I have hundreds of hand drawn tracks that are hunting roads. I drew these roads, went down spurs, and backtracked on the spur to the main road.  I continued like this, drawing more spurs until the track reached up to 700 trackpoints. With the upgrade to 5.74, now I have a lot of road segments (spurs) with arrowheads going both ways.  Most of my tracks were never intended to be a path to follow - merely a layout of roads that I can load into my GPS's and print out.  I would rather not have arrowheads on these.

I like the option of having the arrowheads but I don't want them on most of my existing tracks.  I would prefer a check box for tracks edit, like the "border" option, and I would prefer the default be "no arrowhead".

Hope you can help.

Thanks, Tom

The arrowheads are only drawn on Tracks with a Solid line type. So, converting to Shapes might be the simplest solution. Or change the line type to road or highway, and then pick whatever color you previously had.

It appears that the track arrowheads appear on the screen but do not print at any magnification.  How do I print tracks with the arrowheads visible?

I have never used shapes.  If I convert tracks to shapes, will the shapes transfer to the GPS as tracks?

Here is an example of my dilemma. Attached is one map with 51 solid line tracks and 7 dashed line tracks containing 34,800 trackpoints. The arrowheads are not visible in this pdf.  There are 10 different track types in this GPX file. I am hoping you can give me some shortcuts to convert.

Let's say I have a solid line track type "Blue-Wide", another "Black-Wide" and another track type "Red-Narrow".  I use these type in hundreds of tracks in hundreds of files. Can I just redefine "Blue-Wide" once to use line style "Road" and have it change tracks of that type when I open all the other GPX files?

Any other recommendations for converting?

Thanks, Tom

Map.pdf

Tom, here's the way I handled it.

Old Types--Solid Blue,solid red,solid aqua, etc  .......shows arrows.

New types-- Road blue,Road Red,Road aqua, etc ......no arrows

By changing types you turn arrows off or on but keep the color,width,etc.just by the type assigned.

Change didn't affect me much because most of my tracks are downloaded from GPS as "type" GPS Tracklog, so I just mainly had to change that one "Type" to my choices.. (I too prefer no arrows as default)

Yes, if you edit the attributes of an old type, it affects the way that item , with that type,  is displayed whether old file or new.

I know, this doesn't address your question about printing the arrows.

Thanks Carl.

I changed some track types as you suggested. My line types are "SOLID". When I selected line type "ROAD", the color is retained but the line width changes. Most times it reduced the width but in once case where the line was narrow, the width got a little wider. I can manually reset these.

Thanks for the advice.

Tom

Yeah, when I first changed to "Road" type, my default was a very  thin Black, solid line.

I changed that to a wider black line, and also set up Road Blue Med, Road Blue Wide, Road Red Med,etc. .....just don't use "solid" in the criteria. "Road" establishes that it will be a solid line, then your choices define the color and width. Note that the little "override' box in the lower LH corner of the edit window can be used to change the attributes of a "single"  (or more)  track(s) within a specific "Type".

In your case , you could set up different HD (hand drawn) "types"and use unique names to describe their attributes.

Your dashed line "types" shouldn't have been affected, correct?

No - dashed types don't have arrows.

Thanks for your help.

Tom

I've moved the track direction arrows to their own line type in future releases of ExpertGPS. You'll now have to select Direction Arrows as the line type (rather than Solid) to see them. So they will default to off unless you explicitly turn them on.

When I converted my Solid line type to Road line type I had to reset color and width on most of them.

I just changed them back to solid and every color and line width was retained.  So much easier.  If that was a deliberate improvement - THANKS.

Tom

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0