BillF

Editting point in a Track Log

10 posts in this topic

I am new to ExpertGPS and am having trouble editing track logs.

What I want to do is record my hike using a Garmin 64st, load the track log into ExpertGPS, clean up the log, and then save it for future reference or for measuring.  I know how to load the tracklog into ExpertGPS and how to delete any points before the start of the hike and any points after the end of the hike.  My problem is fine tuning the points in the middle of the hike.  For example I might make small side trips that I don't want included in the final trail.  Under heavy tree cover the GPS might record a point that was erroneously off the path.  If I stop to take in the view, the GPS will show a lot of wondering around that point.

How do you:  1)  Delete a point from the middle of a track,  2)  Add a point to a track,  3) move (reposition) a point in the middle of a track log.  A primer for dummies would help.

Any hints on gotchas would help.  It appears that I might be accidentally switching modes from track edit to normal at unexpected times.

Nuther user here....here's how I do it.

1. Use Select Tool (Arrow) and click on track. Either on the map or double click on track in the track list.....it turns yellow.

Zoom waaaay in, so you can see the individual trackpoints. Closer is better..

Using select tool, click on a single point you want to delete, and drag the pointer.it will highlight it in pink. Or, you can drag the pointer along the track and select a long series to delete. Or, you can click off to the side , click and drag a box over a track portion, and when you release the button, it will highlight in pink..

Now, Right click and choose delete.. It will delete what is highlighted in pink.  Note what the message that comes up says, because sometimes working in tight quarters, it may say "Delete Tracl" when you are actually wanting to just delete Trackpoints. . If you mess up like that, choose NO, and right click the track, choose "Clear Selection" ( it will  only remove the pink), then start the selection process over.

3. To move trackpoints (or anything else), First select it, then, with it highlighted, use the "Move Selected" tool.( Black arrow point with small cross below right) That's on the tool bar or found in the Tools Dropdown list.. You can select and move the whole track, or select the track and highlight a series of points then use the Move Selected tool to move only the pink portion all at once, or just select a single point and move only that one point..

2. I never add a point, I just move an existing point to a new position where I want a point.

Practice on a hand drawn track , or make duplicate copy of the track you want to edit, then practice all you want  until you get familiar.with the process.That way if you mess up, No Harm and No Foul.. Remember, if you get the wrong thing highlighted, use the Right Click and "Clear Selection" choice fro the list.

Hope this helps.

Here's another approach to cleaning up track logs.

0117 16-06-25.jpg

Create a temporary center of the mess, Summit in my example.Then use the scissor tool to cut the track log at the entry point and the exit point. Delete the mess. Then extend the entry and exit track to a point near the center point. Then join the two segments.

Here is another way to "clean up the mess".  First hide all waypoints so they won't be selected.  Next, select the whole track.  Then, use the select tool (arrow) to draw a box around a continuous section of the track you don't want to delete. That sequential series of trackpoints will be highlighted and can be deleted. Next, hit the DELETE key and delete them. The track will still be intact except for the missing "mess".

Tom, I tried your method, but it highlighted nothing unless I included all of the track. Is there some key used with the arrow function? I tried ctrl, alt, and shift.

If you could draw a box around all the mess, it will include some tracks that you don't want deleted.

You're right. I forgot a step.  You do have to select the whole track first.  Then, use the select tool to highlight a continuous section of the track.  That sequential series of trackpoints will be highlighted and can be deleted.

OK, it works for most of the track. See before and after below. What did I do wrong?

0115 16-06-27.jpg0116 16-06-27.jpg

Jim, just do it a second time to clean up the remaining points. When there's a big rat's-nest like that, you aren't going to be able to clearly see and highlight the exact starting and ending trackpoints to delete.

Another method:

Select the track and then click on it near the start of the rat's nest (X1 above) to put the yellow marker arrow there.

Click right arrow key - this advances the yellow marker one trackpoint at a time. When you get to the place where you want to start deleting trackpoints, hold the Shift key and press right arrow repeatedly.

When all of the trackpoints you want to delete have been added to the highlighted segment, hit Delete.

I think I'll stay with my method.

Jim, I know it's all a matter of preference, and no big deal but,  here's some suggestions.

First, Select Track, then zoom waaaay in (like you already have) and then click and drag to make smaller boxes over/around out lying points of the "nest".....Delete....do it again on other outlying points,Then very quickly you can fit the remaining nest in one remaining box..

You can do 5-6 smaller boxes and delete and end up with exactly what you want, in less time, without having to create any points or  re-joining. Everything stays joined from the start.

Don't try to draw a single box to cover the whole mess at the start."Whittle" at the edges, then a bigger bite, then on to the next one....

Nuther suggestion....to reduce the  number and size  of " bird nests" , use "Distance" for track logging instead of "Time".,or Auto. 

For hiking speeds,,  even on very winding trails I use 4 yds for the interval, That accurately logs the actual path traveled, and results in accurate distance (on a "measured with surveyors" wheel trail)

For Faster speeds you have to use a different method / interval, and just edit out the "birdnests".