Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShawnRiley

New / Revised Topo Maps - Poor Image Quality

3 posts in this topic

Is there a way to go back to the older topo maps? These newer gold colored shaded relief topo maps are not very easy read. They are over compressed and I can see a lot of JPEG compression artifacts in the images, especially at zoom levels 16 and higher. Also a lot of the text and the topo features just don't stand out like they use to. Some of the rural roads are now a very faint thin gray line, almost indistinguishable from a regular contour line. I've been experimenting with the automatic downloadable USGS scanned topo maps as an alternative, but keep getting random image load failures. I'll keep trying. It may have something to do with my internet connection. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!

The USGS took down their seamless scanned topo maps. They stopped making "classic" topo maps several years ago. I agree that their replacement "US Topo" maps are less usable for many applications.

I'm working on two alternatives:

1. The Automatically Add USGS Topo Map command (Map menu, Scanned Maps sub-menu). This got a big refresh in mid-December 2016, and now allows you download every edition of the topo maps for your location. There are over 100 thousand maps available through this command. Unfortunately, I've found a few typos and broken URLs in the list of maps that ExpertGPS is using, so if you get errors, please use the automatic error reporting feature or send me an email with the location and the name and year of the map you were trying to load.

2. I'm making changes to the cartography used in the Street Map view to make it more usable for planning outdoor activities. (more emphasis on contour lines, trails, etc)

Sorry to hear about the demise of the seamless scanned topo maps, but I'm happy to know you're working on some alternatives. Thanks for all the hard work you put into this program. It's very much appreciated.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0