wasatch

overlaying old topo maps

7 posts in this topic

I would like to overlay an older, scanned topo map over the online images.  Would like the overlay topo to be transparent.  How do I do it?

Take both images into Adobe Photoshop or another image editing program, and composite them there. You can then import the combined image back into ExpertGPS as a scanned map.

Wasatch I am curious as to why you would want to overlay an older scanned map over an online version. I use a lot of old scanned maps to find forgotten paths, logging roads, buildings etc.  When working on these types of things I bring up the two maps using the [Window Tile horizontal - Tile vertical] option.  I then mark up the old map and then copy the waypoints tracks etc over to the other map. 

I have an older topo that shows drainage that has been modified by modern activety.  I want to show where that drainage was on current maps and aerial images.

Not sure how much work it would be but if you start marking out the old drainage using the track tool and waypoint tools to create a specific types you can then create a File "old Drainage" this would allow you to the make an overlay that you could use and modify as needed. 

Thanks Les,

I have not entered a scanned map into the program.  Does it have a feature to geo-reference it?

go to the above discussion in the forum  It explains the new way to bring scanned maps into the program and calibrate them.  If you have problems start a new thread , help with scanned map.  I have not used the new process